- When I was pregnant, I did not take prenatal vitamins. I think they are a joke. The supplement companies repackage basic multi-vitamins and market them at a ridiculous price. All you need is a daily multi-vitamin and some folic acid. You can get these at Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or your corner drugstore and save yourself some money. Just my opinion.
- I took folic acid BEFORE I got pregnant. It is very important for the early development of the fetus and you don't want to find out you were deficient in folic acid when you discover you are pregnant at around 5 or 6 weeks. Actually, if you are not using birth control, take folic acid daily - just in case.
- I was a baby-wearing mama. I still would be except Aiven is 20 pounds and my back can't handle it. I think baby-wearing is awesome. I encourage new moms to try it. I have tried many baby carriers - email if you want some advice or help figuring them out.
- Vaccines don't cause autism. They don't. Google it. And then, get over it and move on.
- Breast milk is like Windex from the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." It cures everything. Aiven had a blocked tear duct that gave him goopy, crusty eyes. A couple drops of breast milk and voila, it was gone in a day. A little cut on him or me, and with a little breast milk, abra cadabra, it vanishes! Seriously, breast milk is very cool. It is a complete food and has bunches of other awesome qualities. Google it.
- C-sections are happening too frequently, often when they are not medically necessary. However, do not be scared of them. When used properly, they have a purpose -- to save the life of the baby and/or mother. I wanted a birth with no intervention and ended up with every intervention followed by a C-section. I survived and Aiven was born healthy. If you have a C-section, it is not the end of the world. The goal is to have a healthy baby. Keep your eye on the prize!
- Make friends with the staff at your local baby supply store. They can offer plenty of advice...and discounts!
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Bit & Pieces
These are bits and pieces from when I was pregnant and from being a new mom.